The Kindergarten Years:
During these magic years, beings are tender, vulnerable yet having the capacity and tenacity to learn amazingly through their senses, our children are helped to grow and blossom: Our early years program caters to six areas of learning:
Personal, social and emotional
– Dispositions and attitudes, self-confidence and self-esteem, making relationships, behaviour and self-control, self-care and a sense of Community
Communication, language and literacy
– Language for Communication,Language for Thinking, Linking Sounds and Letters, Reading-Writing, Handwriting
Problem solving, reasoning and numeracy
– Numbers as labels and for counting, calculating, shape, space and measures
– Movement and space, health and bodily awareness, using equipment and materials
Knowledge and understanding of the world
– Exploration and investigation, designing and making, ICT, time, place, communities
– Being creative, exploring media and materials, creating music and dance, developing imagination and imaginative play
Our approach to teaching learning transaction is primarily influenced by the following thinkers and philosophers:
Frederick Froebel who claimed that Play Is the Engine of Real Learning.? Froebel concluded that play is not idle behaviour but a biological imperative to discover how things work. It is pleasurable activity, but biologically purposeful. Froebel sought to harness this impulse and focus a child’s play energy on specific activities designed to lead them to create meaning from their experiences.
The Reggio Emilia philosophy is based upon the following set of principles:
- Children must have some control over the direction of their learning;
- Children must be able to learn through experiences of touching, moving, listening, seeing, and hearing;
- Children have a relationship with other children and with material items in the world that children must be allowed to explore and
- Children must have endless ways and opportunities to express themselves.
Dr. Howard Gardner’s concept of multiple intelligences, which caters to different learning styles and promotes multiple intelligences by ensuring a variety of teaching aids and techniques.